Monday, April 13, 2015

Spring Break 2015

You know when you have something really big planned and you talk about it and dream about it for months in advance and you wonder if all the excitement, expectations and anticipation can overshadow what is actually going to happen?  Well that didn't happen to us!  Our Mexican Spring Break getaway delivered above and beyond what we were hoping for.  Before we left Callie said, "mom, I just can't picture what it will be like in Mexico."  How do you explain white sand beaches, swim up pool bars, bartering for souvenirs, mariachi bands, crocodiles and lizards to an eight year old?
 

 


 
I know that there is a lot more the Mexico than the Hotel Zone but as of now, I'm okay with my kids thinking Mexico is a five start resort.  We did explain a few times that people don't actually live in these hotels but I'm not sure if they believed us.    
 

 



 
The girls had so. much. fun. with their cousins it's hard to describe.  They tried all the drinks from the kids menu, swam like mermaids and partied at the nightly kids show.  They learned to say "woot, woot"  Mexican style and ate hot dogs, French fries, ice cream and fresh donuts everyday.  By the end of the week they were ordering pina colodas from the swim up bar, eating sushi, wave jumping in the ocean, and chasing iguanas around the hotel.
 




 
Callie, the reptile lover, thought it was awesome to wake up to iguanas all over the grass and sidewalks.  And as long as they stayed outside, her mama thought they were pretty cool too.
 


 
 

 

And for the grown ups, one of our greatest pleasures is to see our kids so happy. To watch them try new things.  To see their horizons broadening right before our eyes.  But I also loved the warm sun on my face, cold drinks brought to my beach chair, reading books solely for enjoyment,  and being so far away from any to-do lists that all I could do was relax and order another pina coloda.
 
One day when we were walking on the beach I asked Callie if this is what she was expecting Mexico to look like.  She said, "not at all, I pictured the beach small like at home."  So I asked if she liked it here in Mexico and she looked at me and said...




 
"What's not to like, mom?"
And I couldn't even come up with one thing not to like. 
It was truly a dream vacation.


No comments: