Tuesday, March 5, 2013

What to Say.

I've been sitting here for half an hour thinking about what I could write about.  I've started a few times and then backspaced it all.  As you know I usually blog at night, at the end of the day when the girls are tucked in, the kitchen is cleaned up and backpacks are by the door with the library book that was supposed to be returned today so that she could sign out another one.  The thing about writing at night is that it's quiet and I get a chance to think and reflect on the day.  Sort my through my thoughts and look at photos from the past few days.  The downfall of writing at night is that sometimes I'm just tired and the words don't string together very well.



The girls had their skating ice show on the weekend.  Fittingly enough, Lexi was to dress as a cowgirl and Callie was a witch from the Wizard of Oz.  Dressing up, skating, putting on a show...I want to say how much my girls just loved the event.



And they did.  After the fact.  The weeks leading up to the show Callie mentioned many times how much she wished she didn't have to be a witch.  I can't even count the number of times she said she wished she didn't have to be in the show.  And Lexi, she wanted to be in the show until it was time for her to put on her cowgirl jeans and then she wanted to stay home.  I had to wrestle her into her denim and we compromised on the red handkerchief that she refused to tie around her neck. When you are in the thick of the whining and complaining it's easy to doubt yourself and wonder what the heck you're doing.  How easy it would be to throw in the towel and say, "forget it, we're staying home."



But I've been here before and I knew that if we could just get out the door everything would be better.  And it was.  Once we got to the rink Lexi said,"I like my jeans" and she asked every five minutes when it was her turn to go on the ice.  And for someone who didn't want to be in the show, Callie did great when it was her turn to shine.



The rest of our weekend was a little less eventful allowing for several cups of Sunday morning coffee for me and some science investigating for the girls.




We also had a little time for some very colorful manicures.



And finally we spent some time in our "Brier Patch" and I'm looking forward to spending more time there this week.  What are you looking forward to this week?



No comments: