Tuesday, July 24, 2012

First Stop: Cowboy Country

Today feels like the first day back at the gym after falling off the exercise wagon.  I have fallen off the Blogger wagon lately for all the same reasons I've fallen off the exercise wagon.  This has to be the hottest July we have had in a long time.... and we went on vaycay.  We packed up the girls complete with snacks, drinks, dvds, iPad, books, toys, clothes, blankies, paper, markers, and the kitchen sink.  Actually, we packed an extra large bag of wet wipes instead of the kitchen sink for our 2600 km long trip.

We traded in our rocks and trees for wide open spaces....



...and family.  A lot of family.



These family get togethers are ingrained in us.  People always ask how we do it.  How do we get so many of our family members together on a regular basis?  I will try my best to describe how it happens.

Someone: "So when is our next get together?"
Someone else: "I don't know.  What should we do?"
Another person: "Well it's been six years since we've travelled west."
Another: "Has it been that long?  Where does the time go?"
Someone: "So west it is. Jake can we come to your place?"
Jake: "Just tell me when you'll be here."
Someone else:  "What weekend works?"
Another person: "How about July 14th?"
Another: "July 14th it is."
Someone: "Okay, everyone.  Book your holidays for July."
Someone else:  "If you can make it, great.  If not we'll catch you next time."

And basically that's how it happens.



On this trip, little sister found a new love.



Without hesitation, Lexi jumped in line for a ride on Maggie.  And she wanted to go again and again.  And before we knew it she was trading in her purple Dawgs for a pair of boots.  Lil' sista embraced cowboy country with both arms.



As for Callie, I hardly saw her for four days.  Not because she was busy riding horses but because she was wrapped up in the world of cousins.  Running and playing late into the night.  Just like I remember doing as a kid.



I picked myself up a little piece of cowboy country at a gas station along the way.  I told Jon, "just wait, I need a hat!"  As they say... when in Rome...  I held back at getting the boots but I sure wish I had them when we were stompin' a couple of two steps.  Somehow rubber shoes just don't measure up when your singing and dancing until the wee hours of the morning on a gravel dance floor.





We had such a great time, it's hard to believe this was just the first stop on our long trip.  Saying goodbye to family is never easy.

Carrie: So when is our next get together?

1 comment:

Christine said...

Love those cowboy pics. Your family is SOOOOO fun:)