Monday, September 5, 2011

Last Day

"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened." Dr. Seuss

If May long weekend is the unofficial start of summer, then September long is the unofficial end.  It is unofficial because the temperatures are still skyrocketing and the girls splashed in the blow up pool in the backyard today. 

But today is officially the last day of my summer holidays.  After two months of lazy jammie mornings, beaches and camping and parks and spray pools... it is time for me to return to work and the girls to slip back into the routine of daycare and preschool.

And I won't cry because it's over because I know how fortunate I am to have had this time with my girls...to be able to make summer memories with them.  I will miss them terribly tomorrow.  They are not the only ones who will need to adjust to a new routine.  After having them on my coat tails all summer, it feels like a piece of me is missing when I am on my own.  Like a phantom limb. 



On our unofficial last day of summer, we had our morning coffee on the deck...in our jammies. And because we slept in late this morning, the sun was already up over the trees, casting its warm rays in our back yard drying up the morning dew on swings and bike seats. 

And little sister must have gotten a little too warm...


I was conscience during the moments we spent together today, feeling the emotions and listening closely to Callie's stories and I asked questions instead of the often used uh huh. Callie asked if we could go on a treasure hunt around the yard and I was a little over the top with, "that is such a fabulous idea."  Then Callie says, "do I have to comb my hair first?"

"No sugar, not today."  We are traipsing around the yard in our pyjamas, camera in one hand, coffee in the other...I don't think anyone will be worried about our bedhead.

But we did find some magnificent treasures...





 Callie found the remnants of an ancient drum...


And this is what Lexi thought of big sister's musical ability...


I will miss hearing these two girls tomorrow as they go on adventures, tell their stories and share their imaginations at daycare.  To keep busy I will be starting a new year at work with new projects and goals to meet.  It is always fun to to catch up with work friends and hear about their summer adventures and to feel the excitement of a new year.  To be inspired to do better and learn new things.

We eventually got out of our pyjamas and combed our hair.
 With summer quickly fading into fall... I have been having these urges to start nesting.  To declutter and organize. To prepare our nest for the hibernation that happens in winter.  I have been pinning and repinning home projects and recipes on my pinterest boards, looking for motivation and ideas to cozy things up.  (Shh, don't tell Jon.  He's not my biggest fan when it comes to home projects!) 



Although I won't cry about summer being over, I will cherish every moment because there is something so definitive about the changing of seasons... the reality that there will be many more summers to look forward too but at the same time, there will never be a two and four year old summer again.

Our last day of holidays has come to an end and we are moving forward.  And I need to get to bed because getting out the door on time in the morning is always a challenge.  Do I need to set the alarm clock or will tonight be the night?

1 comment:

Megan said...

Loving those little cupcake jammies! Footie pjs are just so cute to me :)

I loved your point of view in this post. To me, I breathe a sigh of relief at the end of summer when my daughter goes back to school and I can resume doing things on my schedule. I often feel guilty that I am relieved, instead of sad and missing our time together. Yes, I do value my time with her...but I value my time as well. All about finding balance, I suppose.