Monday, March 7, 2011

Words of Encouragement

We all need to be encouraged.  Some more than others. We need to be encouraged to take risks, to try new things...to step out of our comfort zone. 

A few weeks ago, I stumbled upon some used, kid's sized cross country skis.  Now, skiing has been one of those things on my to do list for a long time.  I haven't cross country skied since high school gym class and I have wanted to try it again for the last couple of years.   So when I spotted those pint size skis for just the right price I snatched them up.   I was inspired to get skiing checked of my to do list and excited for Callie to have the experience.

Callie thought her new skis were pretty awesome and told me everything she knew about skiing from watching Goofy on Mickey Mouse. Yesterday was our big debut.  But as it turns out...I ended up going alone. 


I did my best to convince Callie how much fun it was going to be.  That it was going to be just me and her. Lexi doesn't get to come-only big girls.  It will be sooo boring at home with dad while Lexi has her nap.  You don't have to ski, you can just watch...please, mommy doesn't want to go alone...

My efforts were futile.  She very politely responded with a "No thanks, mom.  Maybe when I get a little bigger.  I think you can go by yourself.  I'll stay home with dad."


I know this about her.  She has always needed time to warm up to an idea.  We have been to the sliding hills and watched the other kids for hours and gone home without even an attempt at experiencing the exhilarating feeling of racing down the hill.  With continued perseverance, and the fact that we are blessed with winter for six months of the year, Callie now freely enjoys sliding and begs to go again and again.

I always struggle with where the line lies between encouraging words and pushing too hard.  The line between wanting your child to try something because I know in my logical mind she will love it and knowing when to respect her decision to not want to do something. 

I am still getting to know Callie.  I am learning to be patient...learning that she needs time to test the waters...to be comfortable before she jumps in.  I am learning to love this about her. I went skiing by myself.  Then we went to play in the snow.... in her comfort zone...and it was good.

No comments: