Thursday, January 27, 2011

Rendez-vous

Since the day our precious Lexi was born we've said the same words after she was tucked in for the night.  "Maybe tonight will be the night...the night she sleeps."

We wait for that moment when you wake up and realize your 'sleep like a baby' actually slept through her usual wake up times. We wait patiently to have the conversation:
Wife: "Did you get up?"
Husband: "No, did you get up?"
Wife: "No."
Only to be followed by the irrational thoughts...Is she alright? Is she still breathing?  Should I check?

And now our Lexi is entering her 18th month of life and I love our bedtime routine.  The smell of a freshly bathed Babe and the cuddliness of cozy winter jammies, the bedtime story, and the snuggles in the rocking chair.



I no longer say, "Maybe tonight will be the night..."  As  I move from the soothing motion of the rocking chair to lay Lexi in her bed for the night, I kiss her forehead and whisper, " I will see you at five."

Instinctively my eyes open at five o'clock am.  I listen and wait.
I anticipate the moment that will be coming...The call from my Babes. 

We have our routine.  I whisk her out of bed before her shrieks wake a sleeping big sister.  With sippy cup in hand and blankie in tow we settle into Mama Bear's bed for our final hours of slumber.  Lexi snuggles into the crook of my arm, rests her head on my chest and sleeps.  She sleeps as if it's the most comfortable pillow she's ever experienced.

Oh... the divine feeling of my Babes so close!  The sweet smell of her breath and the sensation of her peach fuzz hair tickling my nose as I kiss her head.  I have embraced this early morning rendez-vous of love...of bonding...of euphoria as know it will not last forever.   I want to bottle this feeling.  Preserve it. So it won't be forgotten.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

she sure looks like her dad